Saturday, July 25, 2009

And here we are...

This has been quite the experience. I am up and about, just a little sore at the incision points. It is a curious sensation having the stimulator turned on. Here is the sequence of events...
July 15
6:30am - Check in at the hospital for surgery.
8:30am - Surgery begins (I, obviously, am out)
11 ish - Surgery is complete and I am in recovery. The ANS rep (and his trainee) are in to test the unit to make sure everything connected - it did!! I doze off again.

The next day or so is a blur. Broth, water, husband, mom, dad, sister, sleep, husband, son, sleep. Vital checks between each of those items. Breathing exercises, drain emptying and pain. Thank goodness for drugs. These incisions are pretty painful at first.

There are three incisions, one right by my neck on the right side (front), one on the top of my shoulder and one on my back. There is also a drain right below the incision on my back to make sure that no fluids build up around the lead. None of them are really large, but are in places that you don't realize how much you move.

The staples came out on Thursday and they turned on the unit. Until now, it had to be turned off to make sure there was no possibility for "zapping" because of fluids. It is almost impossible to explain the sensation. It almost feels like my arm is just waking up, you know how your foot feels after it has fallen asleep. If I turn my head (which is still a little tough) it moves the lead a bit and I can't feel it or I get a surge of energy. They say that each day this will get better as my neck heals and scars the leads into place. The took x-rays the day of surgery and activation day and it is still in the same spot. Hooray!

This process has kept me giggling. I now have a warranty, identification card (to get through metal detectors) anntena/battery charger and remote control. We got two boxes of information after surgery. I got confirmation that my warranty is activated today in the mail with my permanent id card. The ANS rep, Tim, told me that there is more technology in me now than it took to launch the Apollo spaceship to the moon. I am just glad that is was a bit cheaper than that. I can't wait for the bills to start coming in. Thank goodness my company has such a great insurance plan. This could have been very painful.
Now the best news, I would call me 90% pain free, if not a bit more. Once I am used to it, it might be better, but I will call this successful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment